The earlier we catch problems with your child’s bite, the simpler they are to fix. The results are often better than if we wait and will require significantly less work. We may not need to keep braces on your child for as long when they are younger, which means less expense for you.
The American Association of Orthodontics (AAO) recommends that children visit an orthodontist as soon as their dentist notices that there might be a problem, or before they are seven years old. We may not have to do anything at this age, other than monitor the child’s mouth. However, if we continue to watch your child, we can start treatment right away if something arises.
Early intervention can be beneficial. We will watch how your child’s mouth and teeth grow and develop, so if we see something that needs to be done, we can do it as soon as possible buy spotify streams reddit. We will also know exactly when to start treatment, if needed.
At the age of seven, the first adult molars start to come in to help establish the back bite. We can start to evaluate your child’s permanent bite formation, both front-to-back and side-to-side.
Early treatment allows us to do the following:
- Make room for the permanent teeth when there is overcrowding
- Ensure facial symmetry
- Reduce trauma when the front teeth are protruding
Early treatment also reduces the need to remove teeth and the time patients must wear braces. According to AAO studies, skipping orthodontic treatment can lead to the following:
- Crossbites can result in unfavorable growth and uneven tooth wear.
- Open bites can result in tongue-thrusting habits and speech impediments.With proper and timely orthodontic treatment, you may have the following benefits:
- A healthier mouth since crowded teeth can be hard to brush causing cavities and gum disease.
- Fewer broken teeth since protruding teeth are more likely to get broken.
For more information or to request an appointment, contact us today at (203) 775-9463.